Philippine Culture: Holy Week with the Family

by: Aye Baetiong

This upcoming Lenten Season is the best time for family gathering in the Philippines.  Our traditions and customs in commemorating the lent week because of  the death of our Savior Jesus Christ and will end up joyous on Easter Sunday during His Resurrection.

 One of the recognized religious services during this Holy Week is the Visita Iglesia, or The Way of the Cross. It involves going to a certain church or more than one church, depending on your preference and of course, the budget, to visit different stations of Jesus Christ’s carrying of the cross, recite the relevant scriptures and prayers, then reflect on the same.



Customarily, the way of the cross is done by reading the passages, with the aid of pamphlet or leaflet, in front of a portrait depicting the events that led to Jesus Christ’s death. But with the disease-like effect of modern technology and modern minds, some innovators thought of a way to give a twist in visiting stations, as spiritually or as meditatively as possible.

I had a chance to carry the cross while praying before the images of the important events in Jesus Christ’s life. I and my  group first visited the chapel where we prayed silently and seriously to the Lord and to St. Pio. Inside the chapel, there’re lots of patrons doing the same.

The ingress and egress is very organized with the help of friendly volunteers, so there won’t be a problem in entering  the chapel and finding a spot. Going to the chapel is likewise no problem. Unlike going to the Stations of the Cross, you don’t need to fall in line because you can go directly to the chapel. Though, you can’t use the same as pathway towards the Stations. They’re divided strategically.

St. Pio is also well-known for some miracles it granted to pious patrons. So many people go to his relic to pray and ask whatever they wanted to acquire.

After a mild and tranquil warm-up for the main event, we proceed immediately to a long queue towards Stations of the Cross.

Contrary to my last year’s experience, the queue this time was longer. Perhaps because of the time we’ve arrived or that the patrons simply increased brought by gradual fame of the parish. Nevertheless, I was so excited to try it for the second time. The last was a little disappointing because I failed to follow properly the stations since my copy was different and the stations in the Chapel has an additional station aside from the usual fourteen (14) stations. 

For someone like me who rarely exercise and stay long under the sun, not to mention dealing with such crowded place, this is undeniably challenging, not only physically but also mentally. I have to cope up with the inevitable heat and mass of people. “Mind over matter” is what I kept telling myself. I felt the overwhelming weight of the cross upon entering the grounds where the stations can be found (which is given depending on physical characteristics or for justifiable reason, your personal preference). 

Though it’s my second time and I survived the first, thank God, I’m skeptic if I’ll be able to finish it without any casualty, like dizziness, exhaustion and the like. But with adequate breakfast and of course, prayer, incredibly, I once again conquered the challenge of walking with Jesus Christ on a hard road, and I’ve felt rejuvenation not just on spiritual aspect but likewise all aspects of life.
Beside the special place for the last station, is a secluded place where you can light candles then accompany the same with whatever prayers you want to say. 

There, you can also show your generous side by giving a voluntary donation without prescribed amount, to containers found therein.

Automatically, upon finishing the crusade, I vowed to myself that I’ll surely come back here next year’s Holy Week. It’ll be my undying tradition to carry the cross in order to somehow manifest my repent for all my sins and to remember Jesus Christ’s love for mankind despite our unending and spontaneous commission of sins, in whatever degree. So do want to try this exciting spiritual journey? 

A. Baetiong is a young professional whose hobby is to around her country on foot or public transportation or family car visiting places. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quezon City Holy Mass Schedules

Beating the Heat

Ice Coffee for Summer