Philippines Culture: St. Valentine's Day

by: Mario Soriano Jr. (Marty) with my beloved wife - Aileen.

Marty:  St. Valentine's Day is 17 days away popularly celebrated on
the 14th of Feb must not be missed when you are in vacation in the Philippines.

Aileen on celebration: 14 Feb known as St. Valentine's day is celebrated yearly in the Philippines. I remember how our teacher would teach us how to  make a St. Valentine's Card with a big heart colored red on the cover.

We usually give the Valentine's card to our parents. Even among friends or "barkadas" we send St. Valentine's card greetings, whether bought or made is highly appreciated. It is like spread real "Love" around. Among my family, I observe my father blocking a date in February for "the date" with my mother. Children stay home after the St. Valentine's family celebration with older cousins.

There are major dates which my father never missed: St. Valentine's day, wedding anniversary and birth dates of his family. My mother never misses the date: St. Valentine's day. She always prepare something special and we even had photos.

Among friends and barkadas usually we have our St. Valentine's card even mailed so they can be received with delight by our friends. Some rowdy friends will send a St. Valentine's card and signing the  name of the "crush" ng bayan card, until you find out... it was just your barkada having a good laugh, and making you feel high (without drugs) from receiving a St. Valentine's card from the "crush ng bayan" (heart throb of the campus).

Marty:  What I know of St. Valentine's was he was a Bishop who defied the emperor's edict that all men should not marry for the sake of the Roman empire (EWTN and Catholic.Org has the same story) . This is supported by historical facts. However there are other versions of St. Valentine's story, but I think the most credible was he was a person who defied the injustice of the law of asking men to go to war and never marry.

I agree with St. Valentine's because men whose gift is the vocation to get married - like me - must marry, it is where I can find Love Himself who is God... and I will do my work excellently well. I also believe on the vocation of total dedication to God, which I think is a gift par excellence because the object and subject of love is God himself. Whereas those who have the vocation to marriage, God is known by having a family, loving a wife and having children.

I always have some flowers for my wife or a night out with the family on St. Valentine's... though sometimes it is another date... as long as it is February, known as the "love" month in the Philippines.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quezon City Holy Mass Schedules

Beating the Heat

Ice Coffee for Summer