How to Attend Holy Mass and the Dawn Mass or "Simbang Gabi" in the Philippines

by: Charlene Bolanos
The Dawn Mass or "Simbang Gabi" is a 9 days novena Holy Mass in preparation for Christmas.

The 9 days Novena is also thanking and praising God for being with us - like us. I think the reason why the Simbang Gabi is well attended is because God who is so good is never outdone in generosity.  That is, whatever a person asks from God, as long as it is good for you... it will be granted... if not God gives and answers your prayer better than you expected.  It always happens.

So how do you attend the 9 days Novena Dawn Mass. In my family we usually prepare for this upcoming event. The children at the start, like me usually feels super sleepy on the first day, but the excitement of my parents is so infectious... that I cannot help to be excited too.

1) We usually go for the sacrament of Confession regularly. So when the month of December comes around we do our best to go for the Sacrament of Confession.

2) Sleep early than the usual, especially when I have school the next day,
we have to sleep an hour earlier to make it on time.

3) Clothes. When attending the Holy Mass, wearing appropriate
attire is important. The clothes had to be modest and elegant
at the same time.  Wearing the appropriate attire
at Mass is giving glory to God Himself.

My classmates and schoolmates are there too with their families...
but I try not to get distracted.  It can be very hard at times though.
So I just wave at them.

4.)  I do my best to listen carefully to what the Priest celebrant
tells during the sermon. Sometimes I do feel asleep but its okay,
my father wakes me up, or sometimes he just allows me to
sleep through the whole sermon, especially
when I studied the last night. I am not allowed to take
coffee yet... but I do take some hot chocolate drink as long
as it is far from the time of the Holy Mass.

We do wake up 3:00 a.m. to make it to the
4:00 a.m. Holy Mass.

5.) Sing with the choir. The songs nowadays are
 songs where people can sing along too. My brother has
a good voice, mine is just okay okay... but I sing just
the same.

6.)  Prepare for the Holy Communion. I do my best
to be recollected as much as I can. I usually don't look
around and check my friends, anyway, I will see them
after Mass.

7.)  Spend at least 10 minutes  thanking God after
the Holy Mass.  But if you want to meet friends afterwards,
 I just tell them to wait for me for awhile or they can join me
giving thanks.

8.) In the Philippines, we usually eat rice cakes
which you can buy outside the Church,
then I prepare for school afterwards...

Completing the 9 days Dawn Mass is one of
 the most happiest events of Christmas.

Especially when Christmas Day is near... 3 days before
Christmas, when almost the whole family is around already,
sharing stories on how they manage to complete the 9 days
Novena, and sharing a surprise Gift from the God Child
afterwards.

But I do think of a Christmas gift to Jesus daily,
who is Love and good all the time.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quezon City Holy Mass Schedules

Beating the Heat

Ice Coffee for Summer