Experience Philippines: Museum Hopping

Charles and Charlene Bolanos

Charles: I look younger here, because this was taken 5 years back. Dr. Jose Rizal
celebrated his birthday recently, so I decided to post our remembrance photo
when we visited a Museum in the countryside.

Charlene: This time we visited a province in Pangasinan called Binmaley!


Here is a Takoko, made of a big dried squash, bamboo, gourd or palm.
Typical hat worn while going around the province. 


Me, wearing Takoko. I think I look Vietnamese here, but I am not. You see I was born in Novaliches, but grew up in Cavite.



Takoko







The Takoko is famous among the farmers and their wives. It protects the head from the heat, especially during planting and harvest time.
Alo or Pestle. 

Charles: The Alo or pestle is used by farmers before cooking rice. The farmers like to eat their rice fresh. So before cooking, they get from their rice harvest, then pound the rice to get rid of the hard husk. Then boil!
                                         




Me, experiencing how to pound rice like the farmer does, as my sister
looks on -- she was hiding from the shot, while my auntie ("tita") took this one.

Pasig

Charlene: Pasig is used for salt storage. Pasig is sometimes also manufactured with a bronze faucet to keep mineral water from clear drinking water called the "bukal".  

Bakya or Suwekos
Wooden slippers

Charlene: This one is hard. I have one like this at home. But I prefer the modern version. Its softer and feet friendly. 


More Artifacts! 



So here we end our entry, because it is already late and we need to sleep, because tomorrow is Sunday in the Philippines and we need to attend the Holy Mass as a family. I hope with this photos, you will have a chance to visit the countryside from Novaliches, which is connected to the NCLEX and SCLEX highways. Our wish is you have a restful vacation in the Philippines, just as we did last time we had our vacation in Novaliches, Quezon City, Philippines.


Welcome to the Philippines.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quezon City Holy Mass Schedules

Beating the Heat

Ice Coffee for Summer