Vacation Crafts

by: R. Vergara

Football season has not yet ended...but while waiting for the new winner and vacationing ...consider making vacation crafts.


As early as August (or even earlier) collect fancy things that might be good for your Christmas crafts, such twisted twigs and sticks, dried seeds, stones, plastic, glasses, etc. Clean them and store them neatly in containers. And when your artistic muse comes knocking by your heart, then it’s time for you to tinker some crafts. Here are some which I have done:

Last year, I got addicted to gathering colorful bottle caps, so by the Christmas season, I was able to make a decorative hat for the school party competition. These caps may look worthless, or better fitted as checkers pieces, but then, when I glued them side by side to form patterns, I just realized that these caps can be turned into a masterpiece.

Scratch papers can be turned into papier maches. I’ve seen paper pots and vases that make good decors at home, whether inside or outside the Christmas season. I had this clay jar which I used as a pattern. With the aid of cornstarch paste, I molded the papers into a copy of the jar, dried it, and painted it with seasonal colors.

I found my old box filled with outdated puca shell necklaces and bracelets, I snipped the beads and stocked them by color and style. I also got my wife’s and daughter’s beads for more color. Once I’ve collected enough materials, I turned them into Christmas tinsels. I even added coins, wood and other stuff to make it a bit of a bohemian.

Lastly, wine bottles, when filled with colored water, make good centerpieces. You can even make it glow a bit by using fluorescent powder instead of food color. Such powder tinges water into neon green. Small bottles make good decorative materials too. I filled some with beads, sand, seeds, even yarns, and hang them in the tree. Little glass vials like those used to contain medicine are cute ones. Empty ink and nail polish bottles are good to. The technique here is you must have a good stock of similar bottles to create a unified appeal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quezon City Holy Mass Schedules

Beating the Heat

Ice Coffee for Summer